Strategy is a set of choices about the use of a
resources to maximise its chances to fulfil its Purpose in a given
If the environment is competitive, “the heart of the matter in strategy
is usually advantage”.Rumelt (2011)
In a good strategy, one that does provide advantage, the choices
- make a real difference for resource use,
- have a clear relationship to the purpose,
- are based on sufficient awareness of the environment.Simon Wardley calls
this “situational awareness”. (Wardley 2018, 8–13)
The core of strategy work is always the same: discovering the critical factors in a situation and designing a way of coordinating and focusing actions to deal with those factors.ibid.
On an abstract level, Strategy is a pattern of actions and Strategy is based on models.
On the implementation level, Strategy is a learning process.
- Rumelt (2011): Good Strategy/Bad Strategy
- Wardley (2018): Wardleymaps